Wednesday, November 2, 2011

RIGHT TO LIVE by Amjad Prawej


A Penguin is sitting on a rock. Beside her is a huge egg. She looks restless. Doctor and Dot1 enter from the audience.

Dot1: This way doctor. Please hurry. Its an emergency. This has never happened before. She is very depressed. (they enter the room) Queen Pen! I got the doctor. Everything will be fine. He is the best.

Doctor: Hello Queen Pen. (Feeling her pulse) What is the problem?

Queen Pen: (Pulls her hand free) Dot1!!

Dot1: Yes Queen Pen.

Queen Pen: Did you say he is the best doctor?

Dot1: Yes. He is the best Human Doctor... No..Animal doctor.. I mean a Human animal doctor.. I mean animal doctor who is a human but treats animals. I mean..

Queen Pen: I am all confused now.

Doctor: (busy admiring the egg) I am a veterinary doctor.

Dot1: Yes that's what I meant - The best Veterinary Doctor.

Queen Pen: If he is the BEST, why is he asking ME about the problem? Didn't you tell him about the problem?

Dot1: (taking the doc aside) Doctor, I told you it's the egg.

Doctor: (Trying to remember) Yes of course. The egg. I remember. So..... what is the problem with the egg?

Queen Pen: I am getting angry now.

Doctor: Ah I know. I know the problem. This egg is too big and too round.

Queen Pen: (screams)Dot1.

Dot1: Doctor there is nothing wrong with the shape and size of the egg.

Doctor: No?

Queen Pen: No. Its been almost a year now and I am not able to hatch this egg. Do you understand the problem now?

Doctor: Of course I do. Just relax. (Takes out a book)

Dot1: What's that?

Doctor: It's a manual. 101 ways to hatch an egg. Now if you'll excuse me.. (Takes out a huge hammer)

Queen Pen: No way. You are not doing that.

Doctor: Oh yes I am. Don't worry. I have done this before. You are in the safe hands.

Queen Pen: I May be. But I am not sure if my egg is in the safe hands.

(the doctor hits the egg and starts shaking along with the hammer)

Doctor: I underestimated the strength of the shell. (Takes out a saw)

Queen Pen: Don't even think about it.

Doctor: (Pointing the saw at Queen Pen) Get out of my way. It's about my profession now.

Queen Pen: Dot1 do something.

Dot1: What can I do? He has a saw in his hand.

Doctor: (Hysterical) Now show me how hard you are. (laughs and moves towards the egg)

(Queen Pen Screams. Doctor freezes. Throws the saw to close his ears. There is a cracking sound followed by a baby's laughter.)

Doctor: I did it.

(A cute baby penguin emerges from behind the egg and staggers around the stage.)

Dot1: Wow! She is beautiful.

Queen Pen: My baby. Come here. Come to mama.

(the baby starts bumping here and there)

Doctor: Got you. You have a beautiful smile. Queen pen she is so cute. And.. (The doctor suddenly stops and starts screaming) No no this can't be true. My god. This can't happen. (He moves back)

Dot1: What happened Doctor?

Queen Pen: What's the matter?

Doctor: The baby. She is..... She is blind.

QP and Dot1: What?

Doctor: Yes. There is no light in her eyes. The pupil is missing. She can never see.
(the doctor hurriedly moves towards his box and takes out an injection)

Queen Pen: What are you doing doctor?

Doctor: Don't tell me you want to keep this child. Listen Queen Pen. It'll be painless. Just one injection and it will be over. It'll be like she is fallen asleep. Forever.

Dot1: I don't think that would be right.

Doctor: Says who? This is in the best interest of everyone. If she is allowed to grow up, everyone involved with her will suffer. It's better to end it here.

Dot1: (Coming between the baby and the doctor) I don't agree. Queen Pen, say something!

Doctor: Get out of my way. This child has no right to live.

Queen Pen: (Snatches the syringe away) I think she does.

Doctor: I am a doctor. I know she will never be able to see. You don't want a baby with nothing but miseries in her life.

Queen Pen: May be you are right. She might never see. You are a doctor. But you are not god, are you? You have no right to decide whether or not a child should live. Leave that to nature. Stop playing God.

Doctor: But..

Queen Pen: Stop it doctor. You'll never be able to convince me to murder my child. You should be ashamed.

Doctor: I was doing this for you and for the child.

Queen Pen: Really? No thank you. We will be fine.

Doctor: As you wish but let me warn you. You are making a great mistake. The future holds nothing but darkness for this child. You'll face problem at every step. Bringing her up. Educating her. Getting her married. I can see problems Queen Pen and more problems.

Dot1: Doctor. Do you always see just the problems?

Doctor: What do you mean?

Dot1: What good are your eyes if they see nothing but problems. I would rather be blind than to have eyes like yours.

Doctor: What? Are you saying my eyes are useless?

Queen Pen: Let it be Dot1. I don't think our doctor understands you. Just a curiosity doctor. How many child have you killed so far?

Doctor: I don't do it for pleasure. I help the parents. I do it only if they want it.

Queen Pen: But you do advise them. And I am sure very few resist. So I presume you must have murdered quite a lot by now. Right?

Doctor: (At a loss) I.. I..

Dot1: How many, doctor?

Doctor: (With Anger)I don't know. Look I...

Dot1: A Thousand?
(Doctor is silent)

Dot1: A hundred?
(Doctor is still silent)

Queen Pen: Doctor, do you give your valuable advice only if the child is blind or in other cases of "imperfection" too. For example if the baby is fat or thin or black or white or heavy or light or short or long or triangular or circular or square. Is your advice the same in all the cases?

Doctor: Enough! I was just trying to save this child from a miserable life. A dark future.

Queen Pen: Answer this one question honestly doctor and then if you still want to, I shall hand this injection to you myself.

Dot1: But Queen Pen he...

Queen Pen: Is there a way your mother would have been sure at your birth that you'd grow up to have a bright future?

Doctor: Well... I.. I guess not.

Queen Pen: And yet you are alive. Do you still want this injection doctor?

Doctor: No.

Queen Pen: Now, before I make your remaining future dark, why don't you pick up your stuff and get the hell out of here.

Doctor: OK (He stops walking and turns around) But I was...

Queen Pen: (Throws the injection at him) Get Out!!

Dot1: Wow! That was amazing.

Queen Pen: Come here my baby. Oh look at you. You are so beautiful. My darling, there is a reason behind the creation of every little thing on this planet. The colorful rainbow, the mirage in the desert, the soft breeze, the sun and the moon, the ocean, the trees, the flowers, the mountains, the day and the night, the singing of birds and the whistling of woods. Everything has a reason. A purpose. We know some while others remain mysteries. I believe there is a reason for your arrival too. A purpose. You bring joy to me. I am filled with love like never before. And this love is irreplaceable. You will carry me in you. You'll see the world the way I could never visualize it. You have a purpose. One day we will know!

The End


3 comments:

Unknown said...

hii...can i know what is meant by "dot1" ? :)

Amjad Prawej said...

Dot1 is an assistant/helper to QueenPen. He/she is also a penguin. :)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.