Wednesday, November 9, 2011

WHY? by Amjad Prawej


The stage is bare except for a chair and a stool. Enters Husband enters from stage right. He is drunk.

Husband: Rama.. Rama.. Are you dead? Rama.. (sits on the chair)

Rama hurriedly enters from stage left.

Rama: (a little scared) I am sorry.. I was waiting for you and I fell asleep.

Husband; What? You fell asleep!! Is this how you treat your husband? You are a pathetic wife you know that.

Rama; I am sorry... I.. Shall I serve the food?

Husband: Do you intend to starve me to death?

Rama: (Startled) What? No.

Husband: I know. I know you want me dead, but you can't get rid of me that easily. Now are you just going to stand there and stare at me? Go and get the food.

Rama: I'll get it. (Exits)

Husband: (Mimicking) Shall I serve the food?.. Pathetic. (Takes out a bottle of alcohol) Get me a glass too!.

Rama: (enters and puts the glass on the stool) You are already drunk.. Please don't..

Husband: What did you say?

Rama: Nothing I..

He throws the glass at her. She manages to duck it.

Husband: (At the top of his voice) Do I have to take your permission to drink in my own house?

Rama picks up the glass and approaches him.

Husband: (Grabbing her hair) Never try to boss me around. You understand?

Rama: Let me go. You are hurting me.

Husband: Just do what you are supposed to do. Cook, take care of the house and take care of your husband. That's your duty. (Letting go) Now will I get my food? (He fixes some pegs and gulps) How long does it take for you to bring your pathetic food?

Rama enters and serves the food. The husband takes a mouthful and spits everything out.

Husband: You call this food? Even a dog would refuse to eat this.

Rama: (Pained) Why are you doing this? Every day... I know you have already eaten outside.. You just want to insult me...

Husband: So you think I am lying huh! Here, you eat it. Eat it. (He forces the food inside her mouth. She resists. He slaps her again and again) You dare argue with me. I am going to teach you a lesson you'll never forget (beats her some more and goes back to his drink).

Rama: (On the floor, crying) Kill me. Go on kill me. Instead of killing me bit by bit, kill me at once.

Husband: So that's what you want? You want me to go to jail. You pathetic piece of shit! (spits on her)

Rama: If I am a piece of shit why did you marry me?

Husband: I married you because I wanted that money. 60 thousand Rupees. That was the only reason. Other than that you are useless. You hear that? You are a useless piece of shit!!

He staggers off the stage. She starts cleaning up the mess. She stops. Sits on one of the chairs. Buries her face and starts sobbing. There is a soft knock on the door offstage.

Kavya: (offstage, almost whispering) Rama.. Rama... Open the door. Its me, Kavya.

Rama wipes her face and tries to make herself presentable. She exits.

Rama: (Off stage) Hello Kavya didi(sister). Please come in.

Kavya: (Entering stage) I heard loud noises and thought I should check on you. Are you all right?

Rama: Yes I am fine. I am... (Cant hold any longer and starts crying.)

Kavya: No. Please don't cry. Come. Sit down here (Kavya sits her on one of the chairs) You don't have to tolerate this.

Rama: What can I do? He comes drunk and finds fault in everything I do or say. He doesn't appreciate what I wear or what I cook. This is my karma, my destiny.

Kavya: Don't say that. You make your own destiny.

Rama: No didi. Nothing can be done now. My destiny was decided by my parents and I have to live with it for the rest of my life.

Kavya No, you don't have to. You don't have to live with that demon. Take some courage and leave him. Divorce him.

Rama: Leave him? Leave him and do what?

Kavya: You can do anything. There will be no fear. No fighting. You'll be happy.

Rama: I don't know. It sounds very tempting though. I wanted to run away a long time back. But..

Kavya: But what?

Ramya: Its not that simple for a single woman to live in this society.

Kavya: It wouldn't be tougher than living with a drunkard. Rama. I know it'll be a little tough in the beginning. But there are many women living all by themselves.

Rama: Yes, but they are educated women with skills. They can work in offices. I am.... Sometimes I feel my husband is right you know. I am useless. My parents thought it was enough for a girl to learn sweeping, washing and cooking. That's all I know.

Kavya: I see.. Why don't you go stay with your parents? You could learn something there. It is never too late. You can definitely learn to earn your living.

Rama: My parents are long dead now. My brother is not any better than my husband. If only my parents had sent me to school....today... (starts crying)

Kavya: Everything will be fine. Don't cry please.

Rama: (making up her mind) I know what I'll do. I'll wash and sweep and cook. But not here. I am not going to be a free servant any more. I will earn my own money. I will.

Kavya: (Hugs her) That's a great decision. I am happy for you.

Rama: I have one last wish from God though. When I die, I want to be face to face with my parents so that I could look into their eyes and ask (looking at the audience) why.. (sobs) why... why...??

She continues sobbing. Kavya touches her shoulders to console her. They exit stage right.

The End.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey buddy all ur skits are awesome :)

Zehera

vyasamoorthy said...

I never thought one would specialize in writing skits. Very purposeful skits. Well written. Simple.

If you write skits for (about) senior citizens - elder abuse, adjustments after retirement, learning to live alone, not to be duped by scamsters, need to be self dependent, recourse to yoga / meditation / reading / exercise etc to lead a healthy life etc etc I shall publicize them among my friends. Have a nice xmas and Happy New Year.

Amjad Prawej said...

Dear Vyasa,

Thank you very much for your interest. I will write a skit on senior citizens and let you know.

Happy Christmas and a Happy New Year to you too.

Anonymous said...

Good skits Ajmal!! The skit Domestic violence can be extended as a play or a second part or another skit where the women works as domestic help or cook and learns and get qualified for a better job showing the example of women empowerment.