Thursday, November 17, 2011

TRADITION by Amjad Prawej


The father is sitting on a chair reading his morning Newspaper. Enters Prakash.

Prakash: Good Morning, Baba!

Father: Prakash! My son. So you are a graduate now. Congratulations. What do you want to do next?

Prakash: I want to become a teacher.

Father : A teacher? Well.. not bad. Teaching is good.

Prakash: Baba I..

Father : Can you go see why is it taking your mom so long to get my tea?

Prakash: Yes Baba. Mom!!(Exits)

Father continues reading the Newspaper. Enter Prakash with his mother. They bring tea in steel glasses.

Mother: Here, your tea. Anything interesting in the newspaper?

Father: Nothing. The Dalits have gone crazy. They want equal rights in the society. Equal rights my foot. They are untouchables and they will always remain untouchables. Can you imagine, they want to be permitted inside the temple. How can they even think about it? These are all western effect. Watching lots of those good for nothing programs on TV. You know, TV should be banned from their lives. Some of them even claim to be equal to us!! By birth we are superior to them. They were born to serve us, not to equate us.

Prakash: But what is wrong in saying all human beings are equal?

Father: There is nothing wrong in saying. But it is good only for ears. It's not practical. Human beings can never become equal.

Prakash: Why not?

Father: Stop it. Do you want to argue with me now? Is that what you learn in your college? To argue with your parents?

Prakash: I am not trying to argue. I just want to be clear. In schools and colleges we are taught that everyone is equal. We pass with good grades if we write that in our answer papers. But you are saying exactly the opposite. I want to know what is correct. Why can't we judge people by their behavior and not by their caste?

Father: Because... we can't. These are the rules laid down by our tradition. We shouldn't even drink the water touched by them.

Prakash: But why Baba? Why should we not drink the water touched by them?

Father : Because that's how it has been. We can't change the laws of religion.

Prakash: But everything changes with time. We should also change the tradition that tells us to hate people and look down on others. This is inhuman.

Father: Priya. See how your son is arguing with me. Our son is educated now. Son let me give you a piece of advice. It is good to write about equality in your answer paper. It is also good to pass the exams with good grades. But we have to live in the society and therefore, we have to follow the rules of the society.

Prakash: Who made these rules Baba?

Father: The society.

Prakash: That means these rules were made by us, by our ancestors. If these are man- made rules then certainly we can change them. Times were different then. Our ancestors made terrible mistakes in formulation of these rules. Times are different now. And I think it's time that we correct those mistakes.

Father: And who is going to change those rules?

Prakash: I am.

Father: (Surprised) What? Priya, what is he saying? I don't understand him.

Prakash: Baba, I have decided to get married. And before you ask, let me tell you she belongs to a lower caste, Dalit, untouchable or whatever you call them.

There is silence.

Father: Listen son. You are still young. It's alright. I can understand your feelings. This love and romance during college make people crazy. It's natural. I will forgive you. Forget about everything. You didn't know what you were saying. You are just confused.

Prakash: No baba. I am sorry to say but there is no confusion. I know exactly what I want to do.

Father: Then you have to leave this house.

Mother: What are you saying? He is our only son. Prakash, listen son! The world outside is very cruel. How will you... you are...

Prakash: Don't worry mother. I can take care of myself.

Mother: But son..

Father: Priya!!

Mother: How can you be so cruel? How can you ask your only son to leave? Don't you have a heart?

Father: (Throws the glass down) Shut up. Do you want to say it's my fault? I have been listening to him all this while and trying to put some sense into his head. But he wants to change the society. You think it will make any difference?

Prakash: It will Baba, it will, to me and to Rita.

Father: I should have killed you when you were born. You are talking to me this way for that dirty piece of..

Prakash: Baba. Please don't say anything about Rita.

Father: Shut up. (Slaps Prakash.) Get out of this house before I kill you. Go to that piece of shit. That's what you deserve. Never show me your face again. You are dead for us. You are no longer my son.

Prakash: Fine. Mother, please don't cry. I am leaving. But before leaving I have to say one thing to this man. You can stop untouchables from entering temples but how will you stop them from entering hearts? Rita has entered my heart. And I am fortunate. Good bye!

Father: Get out!

Mother: No.. please don't go.. please stop him....don't leave your mother..please...

Everyone freezes for a couple of seconds. Father and mother slowly exit. Prakash takes off his cap, puts on spectacles and moves slowly downstage and sits down. He is in deep thought. Enters Rita with two plastic glasses.

Rita: Thank God there was a small shop selling tea. Here, your tea. (They drink tea) What were you thinking about?

Prakash: I was thinking about the day after our graduation. The day I left the house. I can't believe it's been 10 years. Time really flies.

Rita: Yes. I'll finally get to meet your parents. You know I am so excited.

Prakash: So am I.

Rita: It was so nice of your mom to write to us and invite us home. I don't understand why you didn't inform them that we were coming.

Prakash: Come, let's go.

Exit Rita and Prakash. Enter mother and father. They are old. They look very tired and worn out. The father is coughing continuously. The mother helps him to a chair.

Father : Did he write back? (Coughs)

Mother: No. But I know they will come. My heart says they will.

Father : I am so sorry Priya. (coughs) It is all my fault.

Enters Prakash and Rita

Prakash: Mama!

Mother: Who is it?....Oh Prakash! Prakash my son. (Starts crying) Where were you my son? Where were you?

Prakash: Please don't cry mother. I have come home. And see who is with me..

Mother: Rita.. right?

Rita: Yes mama!

Mother: I am so sorry.. such a nice and beautiful girl... I am so sorry.. for what happened..

Father : Who is it Priya?

Mother: It's Prakash and Rita.

Father: Prakash has come...!!! (Trying to get up from the chair) My son has come.. Where is he?

Prakash: Baba! I am right here Baba. Everything will be fine Baba. Now that I am here everything will be fine.

Father: Prakash please forgive me..

Prakash: No baba, you don't have to say anything. You don't have to apologize to me.

Father: I was so cruel to you... my flesh and blood.. But I have realized..(Cough) now.. (cough)

Prakash: Please father.. don't talk.. it's alright.. Rita get some water, please.

Father: Thank you my son.. Thank you for coming.. Thank you for forgiving.. I am proud, son. I am proud to be your father.

Prakash: I know Baba. Don't say anything.

Rita: Here water!

Prakash: Here drink some water, Baba. (Father drinks water)

Father: I feel much better. I feel so relieved now.

Prakash: Father. You just drank the water touched by Rita. Tell me does it taste any different?

Father: No son. It doesn't. It tasted better than any holy water in the world.

Prakash: That's all I wanted to tell you then!!

father: I know son. I realized that after losing you. I realized what mattered is LOVE. I was blind then. But now I can see! Come near me Rita, my daughter.

Rita: Yes Father!

Father: You'll forgive this old man, won't you?

Rita: I was never angry with you father.

Father: If only people had hearts like yours, this world would be a paradise!

The End

6 comments:

Unknown said...

nice story

tabrej said...

it is great

Anonymous said...

good story.,,.

Anonymous said...

Excellent. Thank u very much. My group and me are very well prepared for our play now.

Unknown said...

Nyc one...I needed exactly this kind of story for my role play in school

Amjad Prawej said...

Thank you all.. Glad to see it being used.