Sunday, November 6, 2011

THE OJHA by Amjad Prawej


(A room that is almost bare. We can see a girl lying on the bed and muttering in her sleep. The mother is sitting by her side while the father is pacing up and down.)

Father: I am going to call the doctor.

Mother: Really? And who will pay the doctor's fee? You better go call the ojha (witch doctor), Somesh.

Father: Are you mad? The Ojha can't help her. She is been in bed for almost a week now. You kept saying its because of climate change, she will be fine.

Mother: Well I was wrong. It was not due to climate change. I know now. Its that Rupa. The way she kept saying, “Oh she is so beautiful. Your daughter will bring fortune”. Its her Evil Eyes. I didn't like her from the beginning. Now go and call Somesh. Only he can help her.

Father: He can't help her. She needs a doctor and medicines.

Mother: Ah! So now you are going to argue with me like always. God, why did I ever get married to this man? Karma. (The daughter makes some more muttering) Don't you see she is under an evil spell? Please go and call Somesh.

Father: No, I am not. I am going to call the doctor. (He starts to leave)

Mother: Fine, then bring some money for the doctor's fee as well.

Father: But you have the money. I gave you 500 rupees yesterday.

Mother: We can't spent that money. How are we going to eat? The rent for past three months is due. That is why I am saying call the Ojha. We only have to give him some offerings.

Father: (With Anger) If we don't have anything to eat, we'll starve. I am going to call the doctor. (To the daughter) Don't worry my darling. I will go get the doctor. You'll be fine again. 

(He exits)

(Mother removes some money from under the mattress and counts them. She looks very disappointed)

Mother: He is really going to starve us to death. Oh God! What do I do now? (Gets an Idea) Yes, I know. I know what to do. (To the daughter) Don't worry darling. I'll be back soon.

(She exits)

(The daughter keeps muttering for some time. Enters the mother with the Ojha.)

Mother: Thank God we are ahead of them. (The Ojha makes some Intangible noise) Please help her. I know you are the only one who can bring us out of this misery.

Ojha: I will. Don't worry. Leave everything in my able hands. (Smells around) Evil Spirit. That's what it is. (To the spirit) Nothing can save you from me now. I'll drive you out from here. (To the mother) Go get a glass of water.

(the mother goes out and the Ojha goes to the bed. He grabs the daughter and brigs her in the front. She is so fragile and weak. She cant walk. The ojha tries to make her sit but she collapses on the floor. The mother enters and places the glass on the floor. The ojha takes out a plate and a spoon and starts making sound. He chats intangible mantras for some time. He then takes out a broomstick and starts beating the girl who is now shivering. The chanting becomes vigorous and so does the beating. In between the Ojha keeps saying "Get out or I'll Kill You" "Leave her at once" " I am going to teach you a lesson today" etc. The mother gets so scared)

Ojha: (continues chanting) This spirit is very strong. Aaaaaah (As if wrestling with someone, he turns to the mother) Get some rice. (she brings some rice).

(He then asks for some more things and the mother gets them.)

Ojha: (With urgency) Put some money on the floor. Quick. Quick.

(The mother is too scared to disobey him. She takes out the money from under the mattress and starts counting)

Ojha: (Yelling) Put them on the floor NOW!!!

(She is so scared she puts all the money on the ground. The ojha pockets the money and starts beating the daughter again while chanting the mantras vigorously.)

(The Father Enters with a doctor. He pushes the Ojha away from her daughter.)

Mother: What are you doing?

Ojha: You have disrupted the ritual. I am cursing that something bad will happen to you.

Father: Shut up and run away before I do something bad to you. (Ojha runs for his life)

(Meanwhile the doctor is examining the daughter. He stands up. Looks very sad. Shakes his head)

Doctor: I am sorry. Its too late.

Mother: What?... But..... (Collapses to the floor)

Father: Why didn't you wait....?

Mother: (slowly) He.... He took all the money.... (almost crying) How are we going to eat?

(The doctor looks surprised. The mother goes and hugs her daughters body. She starts sobbing. The father looks blank.)

The End.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very good social service for making our society aware of the evis spread in it .The are the efforts for betterment.
Ramesh Kumar k v No.1Army Jodhpur
rameshbawan@yahoo.com

Amjad Prawej said...

Thanks Ramesh, That is the idea behind this blog.

Unknown said...

It's a good awareness story.
This kind of things happen in our village even today.