Friday, November 4, 2011

TREE AND TIGER by Amjad Prawej


A tree stands centre stage and a tiger is pacing up and down.

Tree: Will you please stop? My eyes are hurting.

Tiger: I am telling you, we'll have no where to go. We have to do something. We have to act.

Tree: Calm down my friend. I understand your concern but killing them all is definitely not a solution. Not for me at least. We need them.

Tiger: Ha Ha.. You make me laugh. They need us more than we need them. But do they care? Absolutely not.

Tree: That is very harsh. There are the ones that care. You know that.

Tiger: Alright, yes there are. But how many? Very few. I can count them on my claws. They are outnumbered by the ones who don't give a hoot.

Tree: Calm down. We will find a reasonable solution.

Tiger: Calm down? You want me to calm down. The number of my clan has reduced to almost nothing. And you are suggesting I calm down.

Tree: I know. There are problems. I am sure they will realize.

Tiger: Realize? When? The entire Eco-system has been altered. We are not sure of seasons any more. It is raining here in December for God sakes. When will they realize? And look at what they have done to your kind. You covered most of the land just 10,000 years ago. And now you've shrunk to merely one-third of the total area. Thousands of species have been extinct and hundreds of them are in danger including you and me. When will they realize? On the Dooms Day?

Tree: I agree, it is a serious threat not only to us but also to mankind. The only solution is to live in harmony. There should be a give and take relationship.

Tiger: But there is a give and take relationship. We have been giving and they have been taking. It is a high time we stop this imbalance. We will force them to give back.

Tree: My dear friend. Violence will produce more violence in retaliation. Violence can never be a solution. Look what it has done to mankind. Hunger, famine, poverty. They are trying to cope with all these. And I guess that is why they don't have time to think about our problems.

Tiger: Ha.. They have created these problems. Their greed and hunger for power are responsible. They don't know how to live in harmony, in peace. And seriously I don't care. But I do care about myself and all my clan. They have driven us out of our homes. It is time we show them that Earth belongs not only to them but also to millions of other species. We were created by nature, like them. And we have all the rights to claim what is rightfully ours.

Tree: And how are you going to claim it back?

Tiger: We will invade their homes. We have had enough. It's our turn to drive them out of their homes. Let them know how it feels.

Tree: You are playing the same tune again. Violence, killing and war. I told you its not a permanent solution. You drive them out, they will rage a war. They will kill you and you will kill them. It will never end. You are already on the verge of extinction. Do you want to be eradicated altogether? Is that what you want?

Tiger: Definitely not. But how long can we keep mum. (Pause) Last night they killed my wife.

Tree: What? (Pause) I am sorry.

Tiger: Murderers. They kill almost everything that moves.

Tree: True. But you kill too. Don't you?

Tiger: Yes to eat and survive. I don't kill for fun. I don't kill humans and decorate my den with their skins and their heads. I don't kill for money. They are selfish. They would do anything for money. I don't understand really, how much money do they need to live happily. I've heard about people who have Billions of dollars. Why do they need so much money? I wonder if they eat money instead of food.

Tree: Everyone needs food. They have to rely on flora and fauna existing in nature in one way or the other.

Tiger: And yet they don't care about nature. (Pause) So tell me about your solution to this problem.

Tree: Education and awareness.

Tiger: Right. And who is going to spread this awareness? I am ready to volunteer.

Tree: That wouldn't be necessary. (Pointing to the audience) They are going to do this. They have been listening to us. They know our problems. I am sure they will act.

Tiger: Are you sure?

Tree: Positive.

Tiger: There is one more thing I forgot to mention.

Tree: What?

Tiger: I have been having... you know.. loose motions since this morning.

Tree: You mean diarrhea. You should watch what you eat. Why are you bringing this up here?

Tiger: The cause... I think it's the water. The river that flows through our home unfortunately flows through their town. They are dumping every possible wastes in the river. The waste from their houses, from their factories and what not. These wastes act like poison for our aquatic friends. Why only them, even we the terrestrial ones are affected. I hope they do something about it.

Tree: (Pointing towards the audience) Don't worry they are listening to you. They will certainly spread the message around.

Tiger: (To the audience) Thank you. You all look very kind to me. Please spread the word. Thank you again!

Tree: Alright. We must get going now. (Turns to the audience before exiting) Oh! I forgot. You have exactly five years. If in these five years we don't see substantial measures to balance the give and take relation, we will take drastic steps. I make this announcement on behalf of all the living plants, small and big, shrubs and trees, aquatic and terrestrial if you don't act fast to correct these problems, we will be forced to stop producing Oxygen! Good Bye.(Exits)

Tiger: What? No! Wait(runs to the audience) My God! Did you hear that? You better start NOW. Please. I can't do without Oxygen, can you? Well then do as she said. Plant trees, clean those rivers and please, stop killing us. All the best! (Exits)

The End



11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very nice story. I really loved it. Do you mind if I use this story as a substance for my school skit?

Amjad Prawej said...

Please do and send some photos back :)

T.SASISEKARAN said...

Great skit Amjad.So are most of your other creative works. Congrats and keep it up.
Dr T SASISEKARAN
Professor
Kongu Engineering College
Perundurai
Erode 638 052

tssekaran@gmail.com

Amjad Prawej said...

Thank You Dr. Sasisekaran.

tabrej said...

i am about to cry!! Great work!!

Anonymous said...

it will bring a great change in our life if people will understand the importance of ecosystem balance...great job dada...I am heartly touched..love Arshad

Aurelia said...

Its just what i wanted. Thank you and thank god for the gift that He has given you to create such a wonderful skit. Good awareness and a very good lesson to be learnt

Amjad Prawej said...

I am glad you liked it Aurelia.

Anonymous said...

It's a really great opener

Anonymous said...

This is super. Came across your blog searching for ideas for my school's annual day....thanks in advance..cause i intend to use them...and did i mention? Your work is really impressive.

Anonymous said...

Excellent messages sir